Hardwood Floors in North Bay, ON
Hardwood floors offer unique style and character. In fact, nothing seems to add style, luxury, and, more importantly, value, to a home more than hardwood.
Stradwicks Carpet One Floor & Home in North Bay, Ontario, is your local hardwood expert, as we offer a great selection of high-quality styles, including vintage-inspired looks and antique expressions. Our flooring professionals are your local hardwood experts.
Is Hardwood Flooring a Good Investment?
Did you know that hardwood floors are an excellent long-term investment for your home?
Hardwood flooring is a major selling point for homebuyers and often, the value added to the home far outweighs the cost it took to install them.
We consider hardwood flooring a sound investment into your home and can help you choose the best hardwood for your home based on your lifestyle, budget, and décor.
Best Hardwood Flooring Styles
There's no one-size-fits-all when it comes to hardwood floors.
Choose the hardwood floor species, finish, colour, and style that suit your design needs and personal preferences. Not all hardwood is the same. We offer different hardwood constructions like solid and engineered.
- Solid Hardwood Flooring is the traditional favourite. Made from a solid chunk of natural wood, solid hardwood can be repeatedly refinished but needs to be installed carefully. It can’t be used below grade.
- Engineered Hardwood Flooring is a newer take on the old classic. Made from layers of compressed wood, engineered hardwood planks have a cut of premium hardwood at the surface. Engineered hardwood works in finished basements and other places where solid wood isn’t advised.
How Does Humidity Affect Hardwood?
It’s essential to understand how hardwood floors are impacted by humidity and temperature changes.
Natural wood is prone to absorbing moisture. When freshly cut, wood has a relatively high moisture content, depending on the species and the season it’s harvested.
Hardwood used for flooring is seasoned for months or even years after cutting. Then it undergoes a lengthy drying process, leaving only a small amount of moisture. But once your floor is installed, it can still warp from wet or humid conditions. This leads to issues like cupping, and even rotting. Dry conditions will cause the wood to shrink, leaving gaps between the floorboards.
Prevent Moisture Damages in Your Floor
Some moisture absorption, swelling, and shrinkage is inevitable, but a few precautions and some careful consideration prevent major damage.
- Choose professional installation and we’ll ensure the job is done right so your hardwood floors stays looking beautiful.
- Avoid wood flooring in high-humidity spaces like kitchens, bathrooms, and basements.
- Choose your flooring carefully. Some types of wood, like engineered and reclaimed, are better at handling moisture than others.
- Use climate control to regulate your home’s humidity and temperature levels. Try to keep your indoor air moisture between 30 - 50%.
Where Can Hardwood Floors Be Installed?
Depending on your hardwood’s quality, you can have floors that will withstand generations.
Hardwood flooring is extremely durable and can stand up to high-traffic activity, including children and pets. Investing in high-quality hardwood floors will ensure that they last the test of time.
Solid hardwood flooring is best for rooms that are on and above level of your home like bedrooms and living rooms. If you choose an engineered hardwood floor, you can install it on any level of your home, including in a finished basement.
Proper Hardwood Installation Matters
Hardwood flooring is made to be durable and last for years in your home- however, it’s sensitive to humidity.
If exposed to moisture or humidity, your hardwood planks can begin to expand and swell. This will eventually cause cupping and warping of the planks. With proper and professional installation, precautions can be taken against this happening.
Avoid installing hardwood in rooms in your home that have a lot of humidity like kitchens, bathrooms, and three- or four-season rooms.
Shop Hardwood Flooring Near You in North Bay, Ontario
Stradwick’s Carpet One Floor & Home is your local hardwood flooring store. As members of Carpet One, which is North America’s largest cooperative of independent flooring stores, we’re locally owned and operated and here to help with all your hardwood needs.
Want to find out more about hardwood flooring or plan a hardwood flooring installation? Visit our store today in North Bay, ON, to discover the best hardwood brands and options available.